Monday, April 6, 2009

Chaos

So I have a really good reason for not updating my blog recently. We closed on our house on the 27th and it's been hectic ever since. We've managed to move almost everything out of our apartment and we spent our first night here on Friday. Things that have needed or still need to be fixed: hot water heater (gas fumes weren't being vented outside..check), dishwasher (doesn't drain, we have a home warranty thank god...will be done this week), microwave above range (turns on but doesn't heat anything...we decided to replace it since we plan on replacing all the appliances eventually...til then we will use the one we own), upstairs toilet (I've plunged the shit out of that thing and it still drains slowly...we tried some uber draino in the sink to maybe clear the pipe that they share, if that doesn't work, Jimmy is going to learn how to remove a toilet!!), and the entryway light fixture (worked the day we moved in, then a bulb blew, I replaced them all, still  not working). I think that's it for now...oh the joys of being a homeowner!  It doesn't help that Jimmy hasn't been getting done with work til 5:30 most nights, which leaves me to do all of the work. I don't mind doing it but we have a fairly big house and it's hard doing everything by yourself (save for moving the big stuff, thanks to everyone who helped out and/or let us borrow stuff!). 
On a crazier note I spent my birthday night frantically trying to find my dog. Floyd got away from me when I was bringing him and Layla down for their first night here. It was torrentially downpouring rain all night and I couldn't find him anywhere.I had to call Jimmy at work to get him to come home and we combed the entire neighborhood. We went back to the apartment to see if anyone had found him and left a message. Of course not...at this point I'm thinking we will never find him, or he'll be dead on the side of the road. Driving back to the house Jimmy spots Floyd in someone's yard on one of the main roads. We got him, filthy, cold, and wet, and probably scared out of his mind. I sobbed hysterically from relief and immediately made Jimmy take a shower with him. So my babies are safe and sound, and are still trying to get used to their new surroundings. Jimmy and I are realizing how involved it is to be a homeowner and how much money we will be spending. We spent a small fortune on furniture and stuff at home depot yesterday. We now are the proud owners of a lawnmower! I'm hoping to finish painting over the ugly gold color in the living room soon, and unpacking our lives. Alas I am housebound today since someone took the key to my car on accident. I wonder how long it's going to take until we have some semblance of normalcy here? 

1 comment:

Joe and Samantha said...

Woo-Hoo. Home owners!
:) Love you!

Borrow anything you need for us, until you save enough to get it. not a big deal. :) We have all the tools..etc!

Oh, and YARD SALE May 16th.
Start making boxes girl!