Thursday, May 22, 2008

Quarter Life Crisis

So after almost two years with Enterprise I decided, after a day 1/2 in CT rental, that I can no longer work for this company. I've never enjoyed working for Enterprise and I tolerated my position at State Farm for the past 8 months. It definately wasn't what I wanted to do and my boss drove me up a wall, but I was able to work a 40 hr work week and I only had to work 1 Saturday every six weeks. I had a life outside of work. This is probably the most important aspect of work to me...that I am not working so much that I can't enjoy my life outside of the company. So when I found out that I couldn't do what I was doing in New York out here...I was really disappointed. I tried to find a job before I started working in rental here but had problems since I was living in NY and trying to find work in CT. As the end of my two week vacation came to a close the reality of going into rental again reared its ugly head.

For those of you who may not understand the Enterprise rental experience, I will break it down for you. The hours in CT are 7:30-6 Monday thru Friday and 9-12 on Saturdays. Let me make this point clear though...you never, EVER get out at six. It's usually closer to 7 since morons can't read signs and want rides 20 mins out of the way at 5:45 p.m.....not to mention you may need to grab some cars from another office, and since you're so short-staffed (ALWAYS) you can only do this after-hours. Now back in NY we were able to have 1 day per week in which we could come in at noon or leave at one. I found out that they don't do this in CT so good luck getting any errands done unless you take time off to do them. The office in CT has a 70 car satellite that is also open on Saturdays...so you need two people at the main office and one on @ the satellite every Saturday. There is only 1 manager, two assistant managers, and two employees. Do the math and see how often I would have to work a Saturday. Even after I realized all of this I figured I'd try things out....until I went on my first pick up in the ghetto.

So I'm driving along to pick up some thug in the ghettos of Norwich. For those of you familiar with NY...think of Troy...but worse and bigger. I'm looking nice in my heels, button down shirt, and skirt and pull up to this multi-family dump with people stoop sitting outside. I ask around and find the person who needs a ride back to the office. He proceeds to look me up and down, says "Hey baby, didn't realize they were sending someone as fine as you out to get me", and gets in the car with me. I laugh it off until we start the drive back to the office where he proceeds to ask me out multiple times and even goes as far as to put his hand on my leg. I thought to myself...wow this is what I'm going to have to deal with everyday out here. Then I snapped. I dropped him off...spoke to my assistant manager...and told him that I am resigning immediately. I refuse to put myself in danger because this f*ing company can't properly staff an office so that women don't have to do these things. I also was thinking of my dog as well. Jimmy is going to be gone for quite sometime and if I am leaving the house @ 7am and not returning til 7pm...he's going to be alone in his kennel for 12 hours, 5 days a week. It wasn't fair for him...or me for that matter.

So now I am unemployed and looking...I check about 5-6 different websites everyday for work and have my resumé posted on them. I have enough money to pay my bills for a couple of months so I'll be fine in that respect. While my boyfriend may not be happy with my decision, he knows that I need to do this for myself. I'm going to be miserable enough with him gone, I don't want to be miserable with work as well. So if anyone knows of a company that's hiring out here...let me know! I'm keeping my options open and hoping something comes up soon...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

*HUGS* You need to be happy at work. If there is anything that I have learned it is that.