Monday, May 12, 2008

We've only just begun...

Since this is my first time really living away from home (not counting college and France) I've decided to keep a blog so my friends and family can keep up to date with my life without having to call me (everyone knows how much I loathe talking on the phone).
We just moved into our apartment in CT a little over a week ago and my has it been an exciting time. First, my overall impression isn't stellar. It's not that this place is horrible, but this doesn't compare to living in Saratoga at all. Our town, Jewett City, can be described as a once possible thriving town (circa 1960) complete with a Main Street, local pharmacy, town credit union, and park. Everyone seems to know one another and I feel very much the outsider in their clique of small-town coolness. The people are relatively older for the most part and the younger generation are basically popping babies out left and right. Oh yes, you know what I mean. On any given day I'll see about 3 mothers pushing strollers that look like they're in the throngs of teenage acne. "Well maybe they're just babysitting" you might say. I wish that were true except their faces tell it all: worn, tired eyes, and the look of disgust they carry because they're stuck with this slobbering, pooping machine. Condoms children, wear a condom.
Our apartment itself is spacious and will look great once we eventually clear out all the boxes (we're getting there). I plan on posting pictures once I find my usb cable for my camera...don't ask me where it's buried. I think I'm adjusting well and Jimmy seems to be doing alright though he is struggling a little with the reality that our living situation is no longer Stephanie staying at Jimmy's place but is our SHARED home. Oh yes...that means I finally have a say in decor and setup....and I think he secretly hates it. I've made him put stuff in storage and throw things out that he thought would be proudly displayed. I'm putting some of my artwork up in lieu of one of his concert posters. I'm loving every minute of it because I finally get to have my say about how I want things. We suprisingly to agree on most things and eventually one of us gives in (usually me, I only speak up if I strongly dislike something). Yesterday while shopping for a toilet paper stand we couldn't agree on a color, nor design. When we finally came to a decision Jimmy laughed as we walked to the register.
"We're a couple", he said.
"Uhhh we've been a couple for a while now" I replied.
"I know but we're arguing over home decor" he stated.
I chuckled to myself when he said that as he put his arm around me and I realized that no matter how much CT may not live up to our standards, my home is where my heart is..and I'm right where I belong.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this - it's like sitting here listening to you talking; it's wonderful! Plus it cracks me up hearing that you two can't agree on decorating styles, etc. That sounds SO familiar! This was a wonderful way of putting your thoughts down. I loved it. I love you too!!!