Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Layla and other assorted love songs


We're nearing the end of this small deployment and I'm going through a whirlwind of emotions. I'm elated that I will be able to see the man that I love so much again. On the other hand the first week that he was gone was horrible and I don't want to go through that again. I feel like I've done pretty well and I'm a lot stronger than I give myself credit for. It's funny, before Jimmy left he told me that he wouldn't be worried about me because I'm a "strong woman" and can handle something as gut wrenching as deployment. I've thought a lot about what he said and realize that the military life is not for everyone. This isn't easy by any means and being away from your loved one for many months at a time, sometimes not hearing from them for weeks/months would be enough to ruin many a relationship. I admire the women that I've met who work so hard to keep their families as "normal" as possible given the circumstances. I am amazed that I love someone so much that I moved to a place away from my friends and family, gave up a decent paying job (when I worked at State Farm, not rental), and watched him leave knowing that I wouldn't see him for quite sometime. I never thought in a million years that I would become a military wife (I say wife because frankly, I stopped feeling like a girlfriend a while ago). I know that we will make it through this and be stronger because of it. I love my boyfriend more than anything in this world and am so proud of him...

On a lighter note, we have a new addition to our family! One of the other wives from the boat has a cat who unexpectedly had kittens. So I decided to take one off her hands...her name is Layla and she is cuddly, curious, and frisky. Floyd and her seem to be tolerating each other...someday I hope that they grow to love each other :)

4 comments:

Amanda Renzulli said...

Steph, it's good to hear you're handling this so well. You've grown up so much in the past few years and I really am proud to know you : ) I hope Layla keeps you company and give your man some big kisses when you see him next!

Anonymous said...

Being a strong woman is the best that you can be. Sure we might not like all that life throws at us at times, but we don't crumble underneath it. That's not to say we don't have moments of crying and utter despair but we dry our eyes and straighten up our shoulders and persevere! That's what women do! You come from a long line of strong women. I am so proud of you tho because I knew that this was in you all along but I've got to watch as you figured it out; watched you grow as a person; watched you overcome each obstical thrown you. I love reading all you've written too! You're my bestest daughter baby! I love you!

KK said...

You got her! I'm so glad you could add to your little family!

Cora said...

Sometimes we surprise ourselves with our inner strength. We don't quite realize what we are capable of until we come face to face with it, it become time to "sink or swim", no pun intended.

Layla is so darn cute!