Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Wow

So I don't like to talk too much about politics because I don't like causing controversy, but after tonight, I just wanted to say how proud I am to be an American now. It's not because a democrat won, but because of how many people went out to vote today. This election, if anything, brought a sense of hope to voters on both sides of the fence. I loved seeing people get excited about politics again. It was refreshing.
As for me...I'm so blessed to be able to see history made. I'm so excited that we have an African American president and I know that this will move our country away from the disgust of racism. It's funny...I remembered sitting in my dorm room during the 2004 election...staying up til the wee hours of the morning....having my boyfriend console me on the phone because I was sobbing hysterically, so confused at how we could have elected Bush again. Tonight, I had tears streaming down my face for a different reason. As I watched Barack Obama give his acceptance speech tonight, I felt something that I hadn't felt in over 8 years. I felt hope. I am hopeful for the future of our country. 1/20/2009 can't come soon enough.

No comments: